Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fluffy ANZAC morning omlette

My husband and i woke early on ANZAC Day. We had a busy day ahead of us, with two birthday celebrations to go to.

Earlier in the week i had made my own super fluffy omelette and had been keen see if i could replicate it. It seemed a miracle that i had managed to make a successful omelette, given that all previous attempts has been a dismal failure, with me turning it into a scrambled egg mixture instead.

However i used my old faithful Donna Hay cookbook this time around, and my wonderful KitchenAid!

Lo and Behold, beautiful fluffy golden omelette!

I love the ceremony of breakfast, and like to set myself up with a tea cup, a pot of coffee or tea, and my milk jug. There is something really wonderful about starting a weekend with a wholesome lazy breakfast.

Fluffy Omelette for two

4 eggs - Separated

1/2 cup milk (I used skim)

1/2 cup cheddar cheese

salt & pepper to taste

baby spinach

deli ham

  1. Place yolk, milk, cheese, salt & pepper in a bowl and mix to combine.
  2. Put egg whites in a clean bowl, whisk until soft peaks form
  3. Fold through yolk mixture
  4. Heat fry pan in a non stick fry pan over medium heat ( i used a wok! worked just as good and gave me room to flip). Spray pan with oil
  5. Pour mixture into fry pan, turn heat down to low.
  6. Put any ingredients on top (i added spinach leaves, ham and extra sliced cheese)
  7. Cook for 10 minutes until the base is golden. (I also put a glass lid on over the top to help steam the spinach a bit)
  8. Fold omelette in half onto itself. Carefully slide out of pan onto plate,

It is beautiful served with hot buttered toast!

It was a wonderful start to the day, and provided great sustenance that kept us going through the birthday celebrations. This was the first time in my memory that i had been out of the house on ANZAC Day. My parents had always spent the morning watching the march until the couldn't sit for any longer, then they would do some work around the house, before heading back in for more march viewing. As i grew up i followed much the same practice.

Being a history teacher I think I feel the reverence for the day all the more deeply. I often think back to the images that i have seen over and again of the soldiers of Gallipoli, and remember all the lives lost within such a small patch of ground.

I also take a moment to reflect on how the day has changed. Many historians argue that the true ANZAC legend is about the dead soldiers, not the living left behind. Whilst i think this was certainly true in the beginning i would acknowledge that it has become more than this. I know that when I ask my own students what the day means they often refer to all wars and how it is about remembrance for all lives lost for their freedom, but also to respect all those living that have also fought. I like this shift and I think it is the key to the day continuing on for generations to come, as a reminder to us all for the heavy price of freedom, and the cost of war. After all - Lest We Forget.

No comments: